Cristian, in German Neustadt, is a small village located near the city of Brașov (Kronstadt). Similar to the latter, Cristian was founded by the German colonists in late 13th-early 14th century; these were coming from Rhineland, Thuringia, and Wallonia, and became known as Saxons. Until well after the First World War, the majority of population was Saxon and their religion was Lutheranism. The Romanianization of the interwar time (e.g. the view that Romanian nationals should occupy relevant political, educational, and administrative positions, to the detriment of the national minorities), but especially the ascention of the Communists to power starting 1945, resulted in a dramatic decrease of the Saxons in Neustadt, to the point of becoming just a tiny community.
The Saxon community in Neustadt has a fortified church, Saint Nicholas, which is the architectural and historical result of several centuries. The current church was built in 1841 and it stands as completion and continuation of one that was initially built in the 13th century in the Romanesque style having Gothic influences. Of the old one, the rose window of the main tower (a Gothic creation too) can still be seen. The oil painting of the Christ on the cross, now located on the left, in the entrance hall, is also a remain of the old church. The best illustration of the co-existence of constructions from several centuries within the church are the surrounding fortress walls. They were built sometime between mid 15th and 16th century and they have various shapes: semi-circled, squared, pentagon-like. They still host defence towers, which have survived in greatest majority (of the nine original, eight are still in place).
At the entrance, apart from the arresting painting of Christ on the cross, the Church also have representations (e.g. flags and murals) with the symbols of the village: the acorn. Moreover, the acorn is the main decoration of the impressive chandelier, located in the middle of the church. It is made of iron and it holds 50 lights, in the memory of those inhabitants of Neustadt who fought as soldiers and died in the First World War.
A backward look from the chandelier reveals the organ of the church at the entrance. The current one was made in 1910. Around that time was also built the oldest steel bell of the church. Another remarkable detail, just in front of the altar, there is the wood statue of Christ, a replica of the similar work of Thorwaldsen. This one was made in 1910 by the local sculptor Johann Bartel. Behind the altar, not in a very accessible place, the visitor can find the 17th century funerary stone of a local prominent female figure, depicting the way women were dressed at the time. The altar itself is built in the neoclassic style.